Prepare for the Contest
To assist schools and their students in preparing for the Animal Welfare Judging/Assessment Contest we offer the following tips in addition to providing sample scenarios with assessments and a topical reference list
- Solicit a team of interested individuals (3 to 5 students per team).
- Review the contest rules
- Previous coursework in animal welfare is helpful but not necessary.
- Identify a faculty coach if possible, coaches can assist students in reviewing relevant background material.
- Discuss current animal care practices across a variety of animal uses and debate potential welfare concerns and benefits of different approaches to housing, husbandry, and transport.
- Evaluate different scenarios using provided examples, video tapes, hypothetical data, and other useful media. Integrate a variety of physiologic, health, and behavioral indicators of well-being into welfare assessment.
- Practice providing oral presentations of welfare assessments.
- Put skills learned to the test in the next Intercollegiate Contest!