Prepare for the Contest
To assist schools and their students in preparing for the Animal Welfare Assessment Contest we offer the following tips in addition to providing sample scenarios with assessments and a topical reference list
- Solicit a team of interested individuals (3 to 5 students per team).
- Review the contest rules
- Previous coursework in animal welfare is helpful but not necessary.
- Identify a faculty coach if possible, coaches can assist students in reviewing relevant background material.
- Discuss current animal care practices across a variety of animal uses and debate potential welfare concerns and benefits of different approaches to housing, husbandry, and transport.
- Evaluate different scenarios using provided examples, video tapes, hypothetical data, and other useful media. Integrate a variety of physiologic, health, and behavioral indicators of well-being into welfare assessment. Test your evaluation skills with interactive quizzes on working horses, breeding farm llamas, and working dogs.
- Practice providing oral presentations of welfare assessments.
- Put skills learned to the test in the next Animal Welfare Assessment Contest!